Today we ventured out to the Pearl Market. Along the way we walked through a herb and spice market. We saw some interesting things. Thankfully everything was dried. It would have been hard to see some of the stuff alive or hung up by a string. It was a pretty crowded street, but it was nothing compared to the Pearl Market/Mall.
We went in the Pearl market and by the time we came out all of China was walking in the mall. The Chinese have no concept of personal space or American manners. I had a minor breakdown along walking the street. In America when we go out with Nathan we get some stares, but it didn't prepare me for what happened here in China. People would stop and turn around and stare at Addison. I know that some were making very rude comments and I heard some laughing. I tried to remember that it is a totally different culture here, but I have/had a hard time understanding why anyone would act that towards a child who has a "special need." Our group and guide were very wonderful. They all feel protective of Addison and the other children. I know that Addison will live a much better life than most of the people here in China, but it was a little difficult walking along the street today.
We also went to KFC. We weren't too impressed with it. I don't know if it was the food or the million + people who were crammed into the restaurant with us. The best way I can describe the crowds would be either post Thanksgiving Day sale crowds or Christmas Eve shoppers times 100. We were all glad to back to the quite Shamain Island.
We had a beautiful dinner tonight along the Pearl River. It was a little taste of home --- BBQ. The waitstaff were all wearing jeans, jean jackets and bandannas tied around their necks. It was very good food.
Tomorrow we head to the zoo. I just hope that the animals aren't in little cages. Five nights until we head home!!!
A, sweetie, don't let anything take away from the joy of having that baby with you! I also can't imagine how anyone could make rude remarks or laugh at such a beautiful, delightful child, but some people just don't know any better. Ignore them and get that darlin' home where she will have a wonderful life and be around people who love her!
ReplyDeleteAre those LIVE turtles?!?!? What do they do with them? I'm hoping those other things were mushrooms and such? Please tell me that's what they were!! :o)
I just can't wait each day to see what is happening and see more pics. Keep them coming!! Better still, come home FAST! I can only imagine how impatient Bob is getting.
Love to all and hugs and kisses to Addison before anyone else.
Grandy and PawPaw
Tillie/Bill
omg, great pics of China, it gives us a "little feel" of China....this is the time you girls need Ron, Bob, Gary and Jefty to "block" for you as you walk thru the markets!! Hang tough!! oxoxo Ron and Mare
ReplyDeleteJust a few more day and you'll be heading home. We're so excited for Bob and Nathan to finally meet Addison!
ReplyDeleteI feel sorry for those people. They are the ones missing out on meeting a great little girl:)
Oh - My - Goodness, I guess the health department does not make routine inspections for the turtles strewn along the sidewalk. It sounds like you are more than ready to get home, Addison needs to be here, that is obvious, I am still stuck on her lip sewn so incorrectly, let alone the rude stares and comments. Thank God for America! Your family has so much love for her that she will be healed no matter how long it takes and you have plenty of people to hold and comfort her if she is crying! She is a beautiful child. Thanks so much for taking the time to share with all of us and most of all I know you are blessed but thanks again for saving her!!! Get home safely. Carol as usual we have blamed everything at the store on you! Also, it now sounds like you will be able to handle all of our favorite Nina's with ease! Take care Hugs to all. Sorry for writing so much I just can't wait to turn on the blog every morning!
ReplyDeleteHi again A! Can I tell you how much I LOVE your blog? Let's us all feel like we're along this journey with you. Lucky I wasn't there today tho, sounds like I may have had to get a little ghetto with the folks staring and laughing. You're right though, their culture is so much different and they should be ashamed of themselves. You guys are all so lucky to have found each other, sounds like Addison is really warming up. Can't wait til you get her back to the US so she can meet her daddy and big bro. I bet Bob is dying to hug her. All my love,
ReplyDelete~Al
The rudeness of the general public over there in China was very difficult for me to handle, too. We were very surprised at it--as most other Asian countries aren't like that at all! Just don't take it personally. Love, Cheryl Lynn
ReplyDelete