Tuesday, December 18, 2007




Last Thursday we finally met with the surgeon regarding Addison's cl/cp. We really liked the Dr. He had a wonderful bed side manner and was very optimistic that Addison would have a successful repair. Because of Addison's age, he recommended closing the palate first and doing a lip adhesion on the right side to help stretch the lip. He said his first focus is helping Addison achieve the best results for speech. He explained that she hasn't formed bad speaking habits yet because she isn't really saying very many English words. He hopes that we can get her palate repaired before she does start forming bad habits. Three months after the palate surgery he will do the cosmetic repair of her lip and nose. He recommended that we see the whole craniofacial team before he did the surgery to see if anyone had anything else to add


We went to Children's today and met with the whole team. It was an all day experience. Addison didn't get a chance to take a nap, but she still did well. She had a hearing test that showed some fluid in her ears. The audiologist felt that she has normal hearing but that the fluid is muffling some sounds. So the ENT recommended ear tubes, which is what we were expecting. They will put them in the same time the plastic surgeon does the palate repair. We also saw the dentist who showed us some tricks to brushing Addison's teeth. She screams anytime I bring a toothbrush near her mouth, so hopefully we can use the dentist's tricks to get her teeth cleaned. Everyone was very impressed with how well she was adjusting and how well she has attached to Bob and I. A psychiatrist was part of the team and she too thought Addison was doing very well.


We met several families today whose children had repaired cl/cp and it was amazing how well they all looked. If it wasn't for the tiny scars on their lips you would have never guessed that they had ever had any issues. We are just hoping for the same results for Addison.


Right now the prospective surgery date is the 15th of Jan., however that may change now that the ENT's will be participating. We are just anxious to get the whole process started.


Today, before the Craniofacial clinic we all went to Nathan's school where they had their winter concert. They theme was holidays around the world. Nathan's class did Kwanzaa. Addison enjoyed the music and all the attention she got. I have posted some pics from the concert.

6 comments:

  1. Both of the kids look so good! Addison looks happy and so does Nathan...and it sounds like the cl/cp surgery is going to be done by the best team there is. It's really good that you got to see some of the other children they have worked on, and the results they achieved. I know that Addison's results will be absolutely perfect!! The pictures are just precious and she looks so cute in that Christmas dress and smiling so big! Nathan's crown looks like it is sliding down on his face, but he is still smiling!

    Looks like the pants fit Nathan really well. Have ya'll gotten the Christmas boxes yet? I emailed asking about it, as they are insured if you haven't received them yet. You should have gotten them last week..so please let us know if you haven't and we will start the paperwork to trace them.

    We look forward to new entries every day, and reading about what is happening with the kids, and seeing photos. Give them both hugs and kisses and tell them, please, that Grandy and PawPaw love them very much. Have a wonderfully Happy and Merry Christmas and a Healthy and Happy New Year.

    Love, Mom (Tillie)and Bill

    ReplyDelete
  2. I LOVE ADDISON'S DRESS. Where did you find it!?!? TOOO CUTE!

    Good news on getting the surgery set for her palate. I know she will do great. I wasnt surprised about the tubes for her ears either. We seriously thought Makily was deaf until she was nine months old and got tubes. What a difference they made for her! I am sure Nathan has had tubes too.

    Speaking of Nathan...I love the hat! They make cute stuff like that with Makily at school too. She had a hilarious Turkey one for Thanksgiving.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for the update! Glad you got to meet with the entire team! We will hope things move forward quickly for you all! Would love to know some of those teeth brushing tricks! Especially if they are successful. With all the wires in Joshua's mouth right now...brushing is on hold I'm afraid! Hugs!

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a cute outfit Addison has on... I wonder what its like to buy girl clothes? :) Nathan looks great! is he getting use to sharing his mom and dad? Hope you all have a Very Merry Christmas!

    ReplyDelete
  5. what a pair of darlings, again they must have a special grandma. haha Can't wait to see them next month. and you and Bob

    ReplyDelete
  6. Adreanna,

    I am so glad that ya'll are doing so well! I am excited that you have found great doctors to work with. I know that must me immeasurably comforting. Miah is doing well also. She is picking up English very well. Her hair is growing too :o) Her dermatologist thinks that she has a mild case of ichthyosis and the few days on the medicine that she has taken, shows marked improvement! I am so excited. I hope ya'll have a terrific Christmas!

    Take care,
    Betsy

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for following our journey!