Wednesday, January 30, 2008

Home






We were allowed to come home with Addison late last night. The surgery went well, even though we got a really late start. We were told that Addison's surgery was scheduled to start at 10am. We arrived at the hospital at 7am. Then we waited and waited and waited. Finally someone came to tell us that her surgery had been pushed back for one hour. So we waited another hour, then another 45 minutes, then another 30 and finally at around 2pm the surgeon met with us. Apparently the scheduling dept. messed up his schedule for the day and all along the sugery wasn't suppposed to start until 2. He was very apolgetic and annoyed at the people who gave us the incorrect info. We were very frustrated since Addison hadn't eaten since the night before nor had she really had anything significant to drink since 6am.

The surgery took about four hours. The ENTs put the tubes in her ears. They said she had a lot of fluid but they cleared that all out. The plastic surgeon then closed her palate and did the lip adhesion. After the surgery the surgeon told us that Addison had the widest cleft he had ever repaired. He went on to say that he felt that he did a good job, but that there was still a risk for her forming a fistula since it was so wide.

Addison had a pretty rough night. She was fine as along as she was lying in my lap on a recliner. By mid morning she was close to her old self. The surgeon finally came and checked up on Addison at 6pm. He seemed happy with the way she was doing and sent us home. We had really great care at Children's and the patient rooms were incredible. The new rooms have only been used since the end of November. We had a single room with bed for the parents and a private bath plus a flat screen tv.

I have posted a couple of pics from before the surgery and right after. I am going to try to get some new ones up tomorrow since the swelling is finally going down. She is doing pretty good. She is just so frustrated by the fact she can't eat whatever she wants and has thrown a few tantrums. It is only for three weeks, I know she can do it.

Thank you for all your thoughts and prayers!

7 comments:

  1. It looks like everything is going great,Addison looks beautiful. We have been praying for her and she has a great family support system. We miss you guys and have been thinking of you often.
    Kevin and Deb McGuigan

    ReplyDelete
  2. You've certainly led an action packed life lately. Never a dull moment, huh? I love the photo of you, the doc, and a not-so-happy Addison! In years to come, as she looks back at all this, she will love it, too.
    Love, Cheri

    ReplyDelete
  3. It sounds like it went very well! Many prayers for a speedy recovery for her!

    Cathy

    ReplyDelete
  4. That Dr. has a nice smile so I know he is in the right surgery area. Nice lookin' and a Boston cap, how can you go wrong?!?Amy

    ReplyDelete
  5. Adreanna -

    Oh, my goodness! I have been SO BUSY working on my Bachelor's degree (taking a double load this quarter) that I haven't checked your blog in a few weeks. I'm so glad Addison did well with surgery and is on the mend! I have to admit I forgot her surgery was coming...glad I checked in!

    Take care of yourself, too, Mom. I think you might deserve a massage or SOMETHING...don't you?!

    Teresa =)
    aka Carson's Mommy

    ReplyDelete
  6. What wonderful news! I am so happy things went well. She is so precious! Will continue to pray that she continues to heal well.

    Michelle

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hello Tarwater Four,

    So glad Addison is doing well. Can't wait to see more pictures. We know that you guys are tired, but the results are great. Here's to a continued wonderful recovery for Addiston. She'll be so happy when she can eat everything again.

    Love, The other Tarwaters

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for following our journey!